Finalllllly ready to post all these! Let’s get ’em done 😉
Fleecydex #13: Dorset Down
The final skein weighed in at 3 ounces and is 72 yards.
Fleecydex #64: Charollais
…but I didn’t like this one. I found it impossible to get all the lanolin out. Texture-wise, it reminded me of the feel of Ramon’s fleece, but that just might be the ever-present lanolin… It was a difficult spin and kept falling apart.
The final skein weighs 1.8 ounces and is 30 yards.
Fleecydex #117A: Cultivated Silk (Top)
So far as I know, there are two or three wild types of silk, and then there’s raised silk… which has about ten or so different preps. I want to try them all, so you’ll see them listed as A, B, C, etc… Here’s cultivated top 🙂
I actually find silk super-easy to spin; I enjoy it. I find I have to give it more twist to get a good plied yarn, but useable single-ply yarn is easy to create… I do have trouble spinning thicker, though; I kept getting lacy singles when I wanted something thicker (I tried to do one thin and one thick, with questionable results).
The top skein is one ounce and 46 yards, while the lower is one ounce and 72 yards.
Fleecydex #B11: Beltex
Ah, yes, another from the B-List. This one was interesting to spin, kind of fluffy… quite a bit like actual Texel, honestly. I do not consider it next-to-skin soft.
3 ounces became 60 yards.
What else… oh. I know 🙂
First off… the Yukio project– a lot went into it; I started during TDF. I even carded the last of the BFL with some of the Emsket Shetland to darken up the yarn; I thought the first skein was too pale.
The uppermost skein was the TDF skein and is BFL plied with Silk (214 yards). The second is that batt I created with the Yukio BFL carded with the Emsket Shetland plied with more of the Silk (130 yards). The third is the leftover singles from the batt plied on itself (62 yards). And the last is the leftovers of the silk plied on itself; they really needed more twist to ply well, but I tried (62 yards). So, yeah, IT’S FINALLY DONE 😀
What else… ummm… the batt project (that is, my goal to sell batts made from hand-processed fibers from small American farms) is hitting a slight hitch right now. But I did test-spin one of the batts I made: